Drawing on over 50 years’ experience of providing homeowners in Ireland with innovative EPS insulation solutions, we at Kingspan Aerobord are once again providing industry leading energy conservation systems. Insulated raft foundations are gaining in popularity in Ireland, they are particularly suited to low energy or passive house standard projects. Kingspan Aerobord manufactures and supplies the Aeroground Insulated foundation system throughout Ireland.
Our designs regularly deliver U-values as low as 0.1W/m2.K. Insulated Raft foundations are suitable for use with Timber or Steel Frame, Insulated Concrete Form or Block construction methods. Building, literally on three unique properties of EPS; high compressive strength combined with extremely low water absorption and excellent insulating values, the load bearing walls and floor slab of your building sit on top of the insulating layer practically eliminating heat loss to the ground.
The system consists of a shuttering system made from a high density grade of polystyrene into which the concrete which forms the ring beam for the walls of the house is poured, 3 x 100mm layers of Aerofloor sheet insulation is also supplied to meet the thermal requirements of the floor.
The system ensures that the concrete ring beam of the house is separated from the ground by 100mm thick EPS300 grade to ensure that any cold bridging at the floor to wall junction is kept to a minimum.
Any internal walls designed to be supported from internal supports are also made from a high density grade of EPS
The shuttering components are designed to support the weight of the house long term, so that no settlement will affect the structure over the lifetime of the building. Each system is specifically designed to suit the structural load requirement of each house.
In situations of high point loads glass blocks are used to replace sections of the base of the shutter so that the point load is transferred from the ring beam through the glass block into the base beneath.
The system is suitable for a wide range of house/ designs and construction types, including Timber frame, cavity wall (masonry) or a single leaf external wall insulation system.
The system comes complete with a range of accessories
- Steel fixing combs to hold adjacent sections of ring beam shuttering in correct alignment
- Stainless steel connecting rods to link the ring beam to the floor slab
- Spacers to set the re-bar at the correct height in the ring beam and in the floor slab
- Plastic nails to hold the layers of floor insulation in place
- A release membrane to aid the removal of the external section of shuttering after the concrete has set used when there is a cavity wall construction & the shuttering of the inner leaf maintains the thermal integrity of the system.
The benefits of Aeroground
- Practically eliminates thermal bridge to ground
- Meets and exceeds building regulations
- U-values to 0.1W/m2.K
- Manufactured in Ireland
- Excellent compressive strength
- Reduces the quantity of concrete required for the foundation
- Compatible with under-floor heating & Radon protection systems
- Proven performance, easy to work with and unaffected by water
Kingspan Insulation supports all of its products with a comprehensive Technical Advisory Service for architects, specifiers, homeowners and contractors.